Hess, Roise and Company is seeking a full-time historian/architectural historian to work in-person at our Minneapolis office. Projects will include in-depth archival research, historic/architectural resource surveys, state/federal compliance reviews, historic tax credit applications, National Register nominations, documentation studies, and historical interpretation.
Established in 1990, Hess Roise works for clients around the United States on a broad range of cultural resource and historical consulting projects. We have a reputation for high-quality work across a variety of preservation project types. Our office is located in a historic building in the North Loop neighborhood in Minneapolis. For more information about Hess Roise, visit our web site: www.hessroise.com.
- Graduate degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, or a related field.
- Meets the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Historian and Architectural Historian.
- At least two years’ experience conducting historic research, writing building descriptions, evaluating historic significance using the National Register of Historic Places criteria, and applying the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards.
- Preference given to candidates knowledgeable in Midwestern history and architecture.
- Exceptional research and writing skills, and familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience reading architectural and engineering plans.
- Proficiency with dSLR cameras, Microsoft Office, Adobe programs, and Photoshop.
- Experience with GIS valued but not required.
- Ability to travel (two- to twelve-day trips) for research and fieldwork.
- Willingness to be coached and work collaboratively.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and manage deadlines
- Position is based in Minneapolis; no relocation costs are offered.
- Must have a car for work use; parking provided and mileage reimbursed at IRS rate.
- Comfortable with dogs in the office.
- COVID-19 vaccination required unless exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary $45,000-$65,000 depending on experience and skill set.
- Eleven vacation days plus holidays.
- 50% of premium for group medical/dental insurance plan.
- Participation in short- and long-term disability insurance plan required.
- Eligible for Simple IRA with 3% employer match after six months.
Application Deadline: Friday, August 6, 2021. Send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and writing sample up to 5 pages showing research and writing skills (e.g., National Register nomination, determination of eligibility) to Rachel Peterson and Elizabeth Gales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hess, Roise and Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based on military or veteran status or any other legally protected classification. Our workplace is a non-smoking, drug-free environment.