Hess, Roise and Company is seeking a full-time historian/architectural historian to work in-person at our Minneapolis office. Projects will include in-depth archival research, historic/architectural resource surveys, state/federal compliance reviews, National Register nominations, documentation studies, and historical interpretation. Hess Roise has a strong reputation for completing successful historic tax credit applications, and we are particularly interested in hiring staff with experience or interest in this area.
Established in 1990, Hess Roise works for clients around the United States on a broad range of cultural resource and historical consulting projects. We have a reputation for high-quality work across a variety of preservation project types. Our office is located in a historic building in the North Loop neighborhood in Minneapolis. For more information about Hess Roise, visit our web site: www.hessroise.com.
- Graduate degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, or a related field.
- Meets the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Historian and Architectural Historian.
- At least two years’ experience conducting historic research, writing building descriptions, evaluating historic significance using the National Register of Historic Places criteria, and applying the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards.
- Preference given to candidates knowledgeable in Midwestern history and architecture.
- Exceptional research and writing skills, and familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience reading architectural and engineering plans.
- Proficiency with dSLR cameras, Microsoft Office, Adobe programs, and Photoshop.
- Experience with GIS valued but not required.
- Ability to travel (two- to twelve-day trips) for research and fieldwork.
- Willingness to be coached and work collaboratively.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and manage deadlines.
- Position is based in Minneapolis; no relocation costs are offered.
- Must have a car for work use; parking provided and mileage reimbursed at IRS rate.
- Comfortable with dogs in the office.
- COVID-19 vaccination required unless exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary $45,000-$65,000 depending on experience and skill set.
- 100 hours paid vacation plus holidays and sick time.
- 50% of premium for group medical/dental insurance plan.
- Participation in short- and long-term disability insurance plan required.
- Eligible for Simple IRA with 3% employer match after six months.
Application Deadline: Friday, January 28. Send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and writing sample up to 5 pages showing research and writing skills (e.g., National Register nomination, determination of eligibility) to Rachel Peterson and Elizabeth Gales at email@example.com.
Hess, Roise and Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate based on military or veteran status or any other legally protected classification. Our workplace is a non-smoking, drug-free environment.